There have been two large scale fires in the history of Kettering. They wiped out a lot of the old town, giving way to the Victorian and Edwardian buildings that stand today.
The First Fire
- Date
- 26 July 1744
- How did it start?
- It started in an oat kiln.
- Where did it start?
- It’s hard to say for sure. A map of Kettering (1721) places brick kilns at the end of Lower Street. It’s possible that the kilns had changed purpose in the 23 years between the map and the fire.
- How much was lost?
- Twenty-six homes, and their barns, stables, and outhouses.

It didn’t take long for Kettering’s (still surviving!) community spirit to spring into action. A formal appeal was printed in the local papers, detailing the damage and the needs of the victims. A team of trusted volunteers was appointed to collect and distribute the charity.


The Second Fire
- Date
- 05 November 1766
- How did it start?
- Some boys were playing with fireworks, despite the mayor banning anyone from using them.
- Where did it start?
- One of the boys’ squibs ignited a thatch roof near The Swan Inn. This was currently on the corner of High Street and Market Street
- How much was lost?
- There are no reliable contemporary accounts of exactly how many buildings were affected by the fire, though some compared it to that of 1744.
- It reached at least as far as The Bridewell, which was behind the pub currently known as The Sound Bar.

The response to the fire was quick: the thatch roof was quickly torn down to stop the fire from spreading. This seemed to have worked, but some embers were still smoldering.
It wasn’t long before the fire reignited. This renewed blaze lasted for several hours.
In less than a month, another (much smaller) fire hit Kettering. But this time, it was deliberate…

● My Books ● More Local History ●
Sources
Adkins, W.R.D. (1908) Victoria County History of Northamptonshire Vol 3
Newspapers.com
Wise, C. (1891)